Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has invited 10 everyday Australians to travel with him to the United Kingdom for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s State Funeral.
In addition to invitations extended to Australia’s Heads of State, the Palace has invited 10 Australians who have made extraordinary contributions to their communities, and who represent Australian culture and values.
Among invitees are 2022 Australian of the Year recipients and community representatives who embody inclusion and the spirit of helping others.
They represent each state and territory and the rich diversity of contemporary Australia.
The 10 everyday Australians who will represent Australia at Her Majesty’s funeral are:
- Dylan Alcott AO – 2022 Australian of the Year
- Valmai Dempsey – 2022 Senior Australian of the Year
- Dr Miriam-Rose Ungunmerr Baumann AM, 2021 Senior Australian of the Year
- Shanna Whan – 2022 Australian of the Year Local Hero
- Saba Abraham – Local Hero 2022, Queensland
- Kim Smith APM – Local Hero 2022, Tasmania
- Trudy Lin – Young Australian of the year 2022, South Australia
- Danny Abdallah – Co-Creator of i4give Day and Foundation
- Chris Waller – Inductee, Australian Racing Hall of Fame
- Professor Helen Milroy – Western Australia Australian of the Year 2021
These everyday Australians will travel alongside the Prime Minister and Governor-General His Excellency the Hon David Hurley AC DSC (Retd). The travelling party will join the acting High Commissioner Lynette Wood currently located in the United Kingdom.
Quotes attributable to Prime Minister Albanese:
“I am honoured to be accompanied by these Australians who will join me, on behalf of Australia, in paying our respects to Her Majesty The Queen, Elizabeth II.
Each of these extraordinary citizens represents contemporary Australia, and quintessential Australian values such as respect, inclusion and helping others.”