This Privacy Statement applies to your interactions with the Prime Minister's website which is managed by the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. This statement discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices which are set out in accordance with the Federal Privacy Act 1988.
The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet is committed to the protection of your privacy in accordance with the Federal Privacy Commissioner's Guidelines for Federal and ACT Government World Wide Websites. These guidelines outline the requirements for transparent collection, appropriate and ethical use and secure storage of personal information. Our aim is to provide an online environment which will ensure the information you provide to us is handled in a secure, efficient and confidential manner.
When visiting this site, a record of your visit is logged. This "clickstream data" is recorded for statistical purposes only and is used to help improve this website. The following information is supplied by your browser (e.g. Internet Explorer):
- the user's server address
- the user's operating system (for example Windows, MAC etc)
- the user's top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc)
- the date and time of the visit to the site
- the pages accessed and the documents downloaded
- the previous site visited, and
- the type of browser used.
This information is used for statistical purposes only. No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency (or other government agency) exercises a legal authority to inspect Internet Service Provider (ISP) logs (eg. by warrant, subpoena or notice to produce).
Cookies are pieces of information that a website can transfer to your computer when you access information on that site. Cookies can make websites easier to use by storing information about your preferences on a particular website. This information remains on your computer after you close your browser. You can remove or block cookies by changing the settings of your browser.
This site may use session specific cookies to improve user experience and for basic web metrics.
Collection of personal information
When you e-mail us personal information:
- we will record your e-mail address and any other information submitted
- we will only use this information for the purpose for which you provided it
- your email address will not be added to a mailing list, unless provided by you specifically for that purpose
- we will not use your submitted information for any other purpose
- we will not disclose your information without your consent.
Other personal information is collected by us when you subscribe to our Email Alert Service.
The contact information you provide, for example, your name and email address, will only be used for the purposes of this Service.
Additional information is collected for statistical purposes only. This information is non-mandatory and will be:
- collected by lawful and fair means
- used for a lawful purpose, and
- collected with your consent.
Although we will securely maintain information you provide to us, this site does not provide facilities for the secure transmission of information across the Internet. You should be aware that there are inherent risks in transmitting information across the Internet.
If you have concerns about submitting information using the electronic forms available on this site, please use the alternate postal addresses provided with each service to either write to the Prime Minister or to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
Links to other websites
See also the Disclaimer section on this website